Fitch Ratings' comments on the NAFTA talks were as follows:
- Ongoing uncertainty about NAFTA raises trade risks for the United States.
- Protracted uncertainty about the renegotiation of NAFTA terms can raise risks for some US states, with most lose from NAFTA termination.
- Fitch's base case continues to be in a favorable conclusion for NAFTA talks that do not disrupt trade.
- The talks are likely to resume although full ratification of the revised agreement is unlikely to take place before 2019.
- Higher tariffs may be imposed on agriculture, livestock, energy and automotive products.
- If the NAFTA is terminated and WTO rules are applied, US trade to Mexico will be more vulnerable to higher & new tariffs.